Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Way to Go Victoria (and Me)!!!

So, most of any one who knows me, knows I rarely 'brag' about my children.  I feel each child is unique and while I do compliment each child individually, I never want to give out the impression that I have 'better' children than anyone else.

However, today I am going to take this opportunity to brag, just a little, on my oldest child.  Why?  Well, because at the end of this story, there is a lesson to be learned (at least, I hope there is).

******************************************

You may recall this post about procrastination where I wrote about a science project Victoria and I had 'waited 'till the last minute' to work on. 

Well, what I didn't tell you in that post is that before we planned her project, there was another girl in Vic's class she wanted to work with.  However, the girl in her class insisted on doing a project about what 'flavor of gum is most popular among 5th grade girls.' 

Upon hearing of this idea, I immediately insisted that Victoria work by herself on something else.  Why?  Well, because I have done many 'stupid' science projects in my years (from each level of education) and, well, what I have found is that the more simpler a question is, the easier it is to answer and the better your grade will be.  I personally felt that trying to determine which flavor of gum was 'most popular' would be to difficult for two 5th grade girls to determine.

So, being the 'know all,' genius mother that I am, I told Vic to do something that would give her the following: 1. a clear question 2. an easy way to collect data and 3. a clear conclusion. 

So, we decided her question would be "What color shirt is most popular amongst 5th grade girls."   Easy Right?  Yeah, I thought so, too!

And, if you look VERY closely at the following, you can see what grade she got on her project...



So, of course I used this situation as a way to explain to Vic that sometimes in life (ok, most of the times), I am going to give her advice from a mother's perspective...a perspective of experience, love and understanding. 

I want her to get the best grades...not for me, but for her!  Because I want her to feel good about getting the HIGHEST GRADE IN THE CLASS, not so I can brag about her!!!!

And, while I know she will not take my advice ALL the time in life...and while I also know I may not always GIVE her the best advice...I do hope she will listen to what I have to say and think about this one time she got a 100% A+ (her friend got an 83% C+ by the way).

WAY TO GO VICTORIA (and me)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Want to Make a Difference While Making a Little $$?

Sign Up for MySurvey By Clicking Here!

  © Distributed by Blogger Templates. Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP