Thursday, January 28, 2010

Procrastinating...Me?

So, I feel so swamped...I just helped finish a major deadline project that is due first thing tomorrow morning...and, the worst part about it is, I didn't even realize this highly important project was due tomorrow, until Tuesday. So, over the last 3 days, I have been guiding the project leader through data collection procedures via means of observation, reviewing rough drafts prepared by the project leader for the final reports, assisting in chart and cover sheet creations for the final report, printing, stapling, etc, etc, etc...if you haven't figured it out yet, Vic's 5th grade science project is due tomorrow (well, you probably didn't figure it out unless you have a child in 5th grade). We just pulled off a 3 day, start to finish, science project...(well, we did begin the planning of everything weeks ago, and had created the data collection tools last week...we just forgot about actually doing the project until Tuesday night).

But, I will say, I tend to work well under pressure. I have always been the write-the-report-the-night-before-and-get-the-highest-grade-in-the-class girl! It has always been so easy for me to do things that way.

Then, I got to thinking, does that mean I am a procrastinator? I mean, I love deadlines and knowing when something is due...I love planning...I love finishing something...I love doing a good job and (not to toot my own horn) I usually do a GREAT job! But, I also wait, and wait, and wait to start things. I wait until the deadline is so close that I am under actual pressure to get it finished...and, at that point, it is usually on a from start-to-finish basis (aside from planning it).

Then, I really got to thinking...is this a bad way to be? What if something happens the night before something REALLY important is due? What if it isn't work or school related, rather life-or-death related? What if it is not saying "I love you," or telling someone how much they mean to you, or making better health decisions, or forgiving someone...or forgiving yourself? I mean, those things should never be things you procrastinate on getting done. Right? So, today, I am going to make it a goal to try not to procrastinate in all aspects of my life, even science projects!...I will try to use every moment I have to accomplish something and not put anything off until the last minute!

5 comments:

Hissyfits & Halos January 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Well said. Life is very short. I try not to procrastinate....but sometimes, it still gets the best of me. I never miss the important stuff, though. ;)

Momof3inVA January 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. The post started as a rambling post, so I am glad it ended up going in some direction. ;)

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom January 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

I cannot handle procrastination; I am so type-A that as a child, I had homework finished on Friday nights, even if it wasn't due til Monday; in college, my term papers were finished halfway through the semester; and even now, in the TV news industry, I have scripts for breaking news stories written before they actually happen (yes, it's possible, don't make me explain how)!

But, my hubby is a procrastinator... and he's taught me why it's good to slow down and wait for life to come to YOU every once in a while!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Momof3inVA January 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

Elizabeth, I always wondered about that in journalism...I mean, do you guys write two news reports for elections and sports games? I mean, how do you guys get the information out so fast? Is is just like super speed writing? I so want to know...

Anonymous,  January 30, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

I was going to comment on this earlier but...well...you know...I'm Queen of Procrastination Land.

You make a really good point though!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Want to Make a Difference While Making a Little $$?

Sign Up for MySurvey By Clicking Here!

  © Distributed by Blogger Templates. Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP