Saturday, May 29, 2010

Savannah, GA & Blood

I can hardly believe there's less than five weeks until our Girl Scout Troops depart for Savannah, GA  to visit the Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the USA.  Over the last few weeks, our troop leader and I have been working hard putting together the final touches on this 5 day/4 night trip.


Before Beth passed, she was working very hard preparing for this trip...she had began gathering information and making plans over a year ago.  When I spoke at Beth's vigil, it was made public that our troops would be taking this trip in her honor.  


...I just can't believe we will be there in less than five weeks...and I still have moments where I am sad that she won't be there.  Even though I know she will be there in spirit, I just felt like this trip was her project, her way to give these girls an amazing, educational trip, and I want her to be able to see what she worked so hard for.  She was always looking to enhance the lives of everyone she knew.


Last September, she also coordinated a blood drive as a service project for our troop.  I can't recall the exact number of pints we collected, but I think it was around 30 or so (which, is enough blood to give to over 100 people).  I donated blood at that drive and I also registered with Virginia Blood Services (VBS) to donate blood in the future.  Well, on Wednesday evening I received a phone call from VBS asking if I could donate blood as there was a shortage in our area.  Of course, I was willing to give my own blood...but, while I was talking to the representative, I had an ever better idea.  I wanted to coordinate another blood drive with them for our troops.


So, I had the guy I spoke with send me an email, which I then responded to with our information asking him if he could find the contact she had worked with.  Well, by Friday afternoon I had an email from the woman Beth worked with.  I informed her of Beth's death and that I wanted to coordinate another blood drive in the fall.  I explained that I wanted to not only help raise more blood than I could give myself, but that I also wanted to do this in Beth's honor.


Sooooo....after all of this looooong drawn out post, I just want to say that....1) We will be going to Savannah Ga (because of Beth) in less than five weeks...and...2) In September, our troops will be holding another blood drive to help save more lives (also because of Beth).


I am just amazed that even after she is gone, her goodwill continues to live on...her love, her kindness, her willingness to give back...it still lives...because it lives in those who knew and loved her and those who continue to be touched by her spirit.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Want to Make a Difference While Making a Little $$?

Sign Up for MySurvey By Clicking Here!

  © Distributed by Blogger Templates. Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP